Amazon Kindle Fixed-Layout Format
The fixed-layout format in Kindle on the inside is similar to that of EPUB but it uses azw and .mobi extension instead of HTML and CSS. The format in Kindle is slightly different to the format supported in Apple and Barnes & Noble.
Kindle fixed-layout format includes-
- Kindle Textbook Creator
- Kindle Comic Creator
KF8 is the next generation format of Amazon that works on all Kindle devices and reading apps. It is similar to EPUB3 format. It is commonly used for books that have high-graphic content like children’s picture books, cook books, coffee table books, and photography books.
Features of KF8:
- Full CSS support – Enables publishers to control all text layout elements.
- Embedded fonts- Gives custom look for the books.
- Fixed width lay-out – Specified for screen sizes.
Kindle Textbook Creator
Kindle Textbook Creator is a free tool to convert PDFs of textbooks and other educational material into Kindle books. Files created using KTC can be uploaded via Amazon’s KDP. It works on Kindle Fire tablets and Kindle reading apps.
Features of KTC:
- Supports pinch and zoom navigation
- Supports embedded audio and video.
Kindle Comic Creator
KCC is a free tool for both writers and publishers to turn comics, graphic novels and manga into Kindle books. Files created in KCC will work on Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire HD 8’9”, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle keyboard, Kindle for iPad and Android apps.
Features of KCC:
- Guided navigation with Kindle Panel View.
- Pop-up text panels included.
- Supports right-to-left page turns.
- Creates KF8 files with .mobi extension.